harts king street gatewayHarts History

W Hart & Son Limited was started by Henry Hart (above centre), in 1836 as a ‘high class’ printer in Saffron Walden, and the brand new printing press he purchased at that time can still be seen today in Saffron Walden Museum.

Henry’s business flourished, and throughout three succeeding generations of the Harts family the company grew to become a local producer and retailer of books, office supplies, musical instruments and printed stationery.

In 1934, Edwin Turnbull, a young printer from London married to Daisy, a Saffron Walden girl, bought W Hart & Son Ltd from the surviving members of the Hart family. He kept the name and continued to trade as Harts.

Over the decades, Harts has grown steadily and, while it remains an office supplies company and printer serving, and very much part of, the local community, the company has grown into one of the largest commercial stationers in East Anglia with account customers as far afield as Kent, Berkshire and Birmingham.

Harts Business Solutions is now run by Martin and Andrew Turnbull, the third generation of the family, who continue the tradition of a first-class, highly efficient yet personal service to all customers.

2017 marks a very exciting year in the Harts’ story. After 180 years’ trading, and 53 years on the present site at Shire Hill, it’s time for a facelift! The current building is set to be demolished and rebuilt, with the Harts’ team moving back into shiny new premises – offices and retail showroom – in November 2017.

In the meantime, Harts Business Solutions will continue to provide its  friendly and efficient telephone and online ordering service from nearby temporary premises.